Saturday, July 15, 2006

Helping the Homeless

I have found that I have a soft spot in my heart for the homeless. The street people, where the street is their "home". I recently read a book about 2 guys that sort of went undercover for months as homeless guys just to learn what it is like. It is possibly even something I would like to do one day. Live on the streets with the homeless. Minister to them. Love them. I would more than likely need another person with the same calling though for the safety factor alone. What I read in the book, street life is sometimes dangerous and territorial.

Anyhow, I am posting a link to an article I just got done reading. I have the same problem that this guy had in just handing money over to homeless people. Not that I don't want to though. The reason is because many of them use the money to support their drug or alcohol addictions and I would not want to enable that. Some alcoholics will even use the money just to buy rubbing alcohol and drink it because it will get the job done cheaply.

This guy had a great idea when it comes to doing something for the homeless. I may even start making some of these backpacks he talks about. It's kind of a long article but please take the time to read it. Be Moved!

Backpacks For The Homeless Article

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home