Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Myth of the 'Good' Christian

This was an article on one of my favorite websites The Porpoise Diving Life that I read this morning. This is so where I am at in my journey right now and I am okay. I will "Live, Love, and Follow the Carpenter. We are meant to be who we already are." Enjoy this and let it speak to you. I think it was written by Erin Word. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Have you ever felt as though you didn't quite measure up to much of what Christianity expects of you? Ever wonder if it really matters that you have an hour of "quiet time with the Lord" every morning or go to church every week? Have you ever hid your secular books, music or movies from your Christian friends? Ever 'just not feel good' about yoursel' in comparison to all the seemingly more righteous Christians in your church or community?

If so, you are not alone.

I believe the ideal of the so-called "Good" Christian is a myth. I have tried all my life and with all my might to become that person, but after 30+ years, I have come to accept that she doesn't exist. A few years ago, I finally stopped beating myself up for all the ways in which I wish I were better: better wife, better mother, better friend, better Christian. I have embraced that I am who I am for a purpose and a reason; or as Jim Palmer says in his book Wide Open Spaces:

"Trees don't aspire to be fish. They don't even aspire to be better trees. God was saying to me I could experience my rightful place in creation by simply being who he made me to be. This is another one of the most significant discoveries I've come to concerning life in God: life is not about becoming something I'm currently not, but instead being at every moment who I already fully am."

I believe real Christianity can be summed up this way: "Live, Love, and Follow the Carpenter. We are meant to be who we already are."

Peace!

I am who He made me to be, and I'll be okay :-)

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

Boy, did this one ever resonate with me tonight! I really will have to remember to show it to my son too -if he manages to stop by sometime tomorrow before he heads back out on the road early Thursday a.m. Such truth to this piece, Keith!

10:11 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

I hope that it is an encouragement to him.

Peace!

10:51 PM  
Blogger Pinay said...

This is something that i need to hear as well.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Len,

I am glad that this spoke to you also. Peace be with you.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home