Monday, November 10, 2008

A busy weekend

I had a busy but very wonderful weekend.

Friday night I went to work because I had switched shifts with one of our student interns so she could attend an event with her family.

Saturday I went to the mens lunch at my church which was very cool. We ate some good food then watched a video by Rob Bell from a video series he has called Nooma. It was about becoming more like Christ. After the video we broke up into two groups to discuss what we had watched and Lonnie asked me to facilitate the discussion at our table. The discussion was good and I also got to meet some new folks and chatted with one of the guys at length afterwards. Neat guy. All this to say that it was good to get out of my comfort zone again and actually get to know other folks that are not in my immediate circle of friends.

Saturday night my mom and dad and aunt Lynn came over and we went to Manzanita Speedway to watch the Western World Championship Sprint Car races. Good times, fast cars, and lots and lots of dirt. It was a fun evening and Patty and her sister came along too. My mom stayed at our house and met with one of her friends from Mesa while we were all at the track.

Sunday morning we went to the early service and heard pastor Jack talk about one of the Beatitudes from Matthew 5:4 (NIV)"4Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." He also showed how Eugene Peterson paraphrases this verse in The Message-4"You're blessed when you feel you've lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you."

We then went to eat sushi and my parents and aunt headed back to Tucson. I took a nap and then went to one of the wildest concerts I have been to in quite awhile. It was a blast though. I went with a friend from work and we were able to stand near the back away from the pit and enjoy the show.

Tuesday I am going to see Alanis Morrisette with Patty's sister. I am looking forward to it because I have always wanted to see her in concert and I'm finally doing it.

Jeff called me yesterday about meeting at the church at 5 pm Wednesday with Lonnie and some new guy Jeff met. From what I understand, this guy has some experiences he wants to share about Iraq and the war. He was there and had some pretty powerful experiences.

Shannon meets with the counselor again this week and then the week after that I think Patty and I are supposed to meet with her.

I need to talk to Patty about going with a group to the Park in downtown Phoenix to serve a meal to the homeless folks for Thanksgiving. I would love to participate in that this year.

Thats all from here folks.

Peace!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding helping to serve Thanksgiving meals to the homeless in Phoenix, I think that's great!

The 6.5% unemployment figure released for October 2008 was a 14 year high (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6100202.html), and long term unemployment payments hit a 25-year high this week (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6098162.html). People are having difficulties finding new jobs, and the current financial crisis has caused entire families to be homeless.

In fact, I just read today that the homeless shelter in Tucson has had all 100 men’s beds full every night and has had to turn over 700 men away the last few months. You can read the article here: http://www.kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=9326376&nav=HMO6.

I have committed to help the homeless in Phoenix by donating a percentage of the MoneyJibe.com website revenue to the Phoenix Rescue Mission. People can save money using the coupons and promotional links we provide, and at the same time, help people that are less fortunate.

If we all help out just a little, together we can make a difference!

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home