Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A gut feeling...but was it right?

I need to share something that happened to me yesterday on my way home from work. So here it goes.......

I cut through an office complex to get out to Washington Street and hop on the 202 for the ride home. I was waiting at the stoplight and the Light Rail was going through the intersection in both directions. While I was at the light, a hispanic gentleman was sort of jogging towards the intersection while I was at the red light waiting for it to turn green. He was acting very nervous and looking around a lot and his demeanor was just very strange. He was sweating profusely, but it was 105 degrees at the time.

He was approaching my car from the passenger side as I was witing to turn left. Obviously, since it was 105 degrees outside, I had the windows rolled up and the AC on full blast. Well he got to the passenger side and tapped on the window while he was trying to open the car door which was locked. I waved him over to the drivers side and rolled the window down a little bit. I was sort of nervous now due to his erratic actions. How many people try to open up your car door while you're in it?

He came over to my window and starts asking me if I can give him a ride to the Light Rail stop because his girlfriend was on it and he didn't want to lose her. Again, I need to mention the fact that he was acting very strange and by now I was starting to get nervous. I kept watching his hands to make sure he wasn't reaching for anything. I told him that the Light Rail stop was right over there less than a block away and he could get on it there. But he kept insisting that I give him a ride. The light turned green and I told him I was sorry but "no" and I took off. He tried to stop the car behind me too but they didn't even stop.

Those who know me know that I would help anyone in need. But there was something in my gut during this situation that told me something was not right. Sure, I may be wrong and the guy was telling the truth. But my gut was telling me that this guy was attempting a carjacking.

I guess I will never know. I am just wondering what others would have done.

Peace!

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Same thing; and, the station was a block away. By the time he'd tried to get into the second car, he could have been at the station - that isn't what he wanted.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

I'm inclined to agree with Dave on this and also, with your decision too. Now, I know I don't know you personally Keith, having only met you via the blogs and some e-mail communications we have shared, but unless you are the best doggone liar, con-artist around, what I do know of you is that yes, you'd help anyone if you thought it was legit and valid. Often in a circumstance like this, the inner system kicks in and gives you little signals to be wary and I do think that was in play for you today.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home