Friday, October 13, 2006

How ironic

I read the Milwaukee newspaper online because I used to live there. I ran across this article today. It is so ironic to me because of several things. The guy was a juvenile when he had his first DWI and it was in Waukesha County and I have even stood in front of Judge Resheske back then. The guy was able to maintain his work ethic while continuing his addictions, something that I was able to do, which amazed even my dad. This guy is 44 years old and I am 45. I do not recognize his name but we were both in Waukesha County at the same time. Luckily I got my act together, otherwise I could have been this guy. Tragic for this guy. But maybe he'll come around in prison. I am definitely going to pray for him. Just thought I would share it.

FRIDAY, Oct. 13, 2006, 1:40 p.m.
By Dan Benson
12-time drunk driver sentenced

A West Bend man was sentenced Friday to 4 years in state prison for his 12th drunk driving offense by a judge who was the prosecutor in the man's first brush with the law as a juvenile in 1979.

"Hopefully, I will be involved in your last," Washington County Judge David C. Resheske, who was Waukesha County's juvenile prosecutor in 1979, told Kim F. Liebrecht, 44, before sentencing him to the maximum allowed by law.

But, citing a 27-year record of alcohol and drug abuse and criminal activity, Resheske said, "There is nothing in this history that makes me optimistic that it is going to be the last."

Liebrecht pleaded guilty in August to attempting to flee or elude an officer and operating a vehicle while intoxicated. Both are felonies.

According to a criminal complaint, Liebrecht was stopped by a Germantown police officer about 8:30 p.m. on July 2 while traveling south on Highways 41/45 at Lannon Road. While the officer was checking Liebrecht's driving record, Liebrecht drove away and led the officer on a chase that reached speeds of 110 mph into Menomonee Falls, finally exiting at Silver Spring Drive.

Liebrecht headed west on Silver Spring, and Milwaukee police joined the chase, which again exceeded 100 mph. Liebrecht was stopped in the 15300 block of Silver Spring Drive after running over spike sticks, puncturing his tires. Liebrecht had a blood-alcohol level of 0.17. The state considers 0.08 to be evidence of intoxication.

Washington County District Attorney Todd Martens asked Resheske to give Liebrecht the maximum sentence."I don't think the maximum allowable sentence is adequate to do justice, but it's all the law will allow," Martens said.

A tearful Liebrecht apologized "to the court, to my family and to the community. I'm done being a disappointment ..."

According to a pre-sentence investigation, Liebrecht has been able to maintain steady work and was described by his former employer and ex-wife, who were in court Friday, as "leading a pro-social and productive life despite his addiction to alcohol and drugs."

William Mayer, Liebrecht's lawyer, quoting from the pre-sentence investigation that Liebrecht's friends and family, including his ex-wife, consider him to be "hard-working, responsible, dependable, caring, loving and warm-hearted."

You wouldn't expect those characterizations to be present in someone with 12 OWI convictions," Mayer said.The judge called Liebrecht's work history "surprising" for someone with such serious substance abuse problems."

But bottom line, you are a danger to the public," Resheske said. "If this conduct continues, you will end up before me or some other judge for homicide. I'm not going to have it on my conscience that somebody died because I didn't do what I could to protect the public."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The guy in the article Kim still remains a diappointment to those lives he has come in contact with.
His teary eyed act in court was just that.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Sorry to hear that. I take it you were affected firsthand by it? I am thankful to say that I overcame the issue and became a productive member of society. I hope Kim did too or one day will but I don't know him at all. Feel free to contact me should you feel the need to do so. Blessings and peace be with you.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home