Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Are you born homosexual?

I have always questioned how folks become homosexual. I have heard that people can become that way due to sexual abuse or something tragic that happens to them when they are young. I then read this article that suggests they are born that way. I tend to think that maybe they are but I am no expert on the matter. But if it is genetics, then how can they become something they are not (heterosexual)?

It is just like my alcoholism. I was probably born with the addictive gene and it does tend to run on my dad's side of the family. I was born that way. I can't drink because I tend to like it way too much. But others can enjoy as much as two drinks a day (and it has been known to have health benefits) and that is not a problem for them.

So if it is proven that homosexuals are born that way, then will people that tend to bash them (Yes I'm talking to the church here) back off and accept them for the way they were born?

Here are statements from the British report:
“Opposition to homosexuality reached a peak in the 19th century. What had earlier been regarded as a vice, evolved into a perversion or psychological illness. Official sanction of homosexuality both as illness and (for men) a crime led to discrimination, inhumane treatments and shame, guilt and fear for gay men and lesbians.” (The change in attitudes began with the American Psychiatric Association’s 1973 statement that there was no scientific evidence that homosexuality was a disorder. Others health groups followed.)

“…there is no substantive evidence to support the suggestion that the nature of parenting or early childhood experiences play any role in the formation of a person’s fundamental heterosexual or homosexual orientation.”

“It would appear that sexual orientation is biological in nature, determined by a complex interplay of genetic factors and the early uterine environment. Sexual orientation is therefore not a choice, though sexual behavior clearly is.”

“LGB people have exactly the same rights and responsibilities concerning the expression of their sexuality as heterosexual people.”

“Although there have been claims by conservative political groups in the USA that this higher prevalence of mental health difficulties is confirmation that homosexuality is itself a mental order, there is no evidence whatever to substantiate such a claim.”

“There is already good evidence that marriage confers health benefits on heterosexual men and women and similar benefits could accrue from same-sex civil unions. Legal and social recognition of same-sex relationships is likely to reduce discrimination, increase the stability of same-sex relationships and lead to better physical and mental health for gay and lesbian people.”

7 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

Good analogy there Keith of comparing the alcoholism genetic factor to the homosexuality. It is something, from what I have learned, that people are born with. Some try to live life as a heterosexual in order to conform with societal standards or their own beliefs or perhaps family pressures, etc. Perhaps some are successful at keeping it hidden in that manner. But the church often does make life very difficult for those who are homosexual - sure don't act too Christian like at times towards these folks ya know. A cousin of mine, who happens to be very religious too, is adamant about homosexuality being a sin and we argue often, long and hard about this as I believe in accepting them as they are, for who they are and he wants to reform them all. Good luck trying to do that ya know!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

It's always been interesting to me. I used to work in the library at a Christian college, and I remember seeing a tape of a guy that used to be gay but turned straight after becoming a Christian. I was always intrigued by it, but I never listened to the tape. Having a gay Christian friend makes it even more difficult for me. I think the bible clearly states that it is a sin - just like abusing alcohol, lying, being compulsive, and being unloving to others.

I think we are all born into sin - it's clear from birth both with experience and biblically. I believe it is possible for people to be born with gay tendencies or desires just like I have been born with an addictive gene. What I do wonder is this.... Is it a relaxed gene to where if you never act out on it (the same way someone with an alcoholic gene never took a sip of alcohol) would they be straight or just not have those desires? That I don't know... because I wasn't born with it. Also, if God can heal you from alcoholism and if He can heal me from my issues, then I believe He could and has healed people from being gay... Does it make them happily straight the way you can be happily sober? Let's hope that God would give them the joy and love that everyone else can experience. I think God can do it but that people are just a little nervous about it. Also, the worldly articles are outside of the knowledge and power of our amazing God and so it doesn't give Him the chance to be brought into the equation.

Just my rambling thoughts... I hope they make sense.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Revised:

It's a choice, not biological.

Here's my quick quib:

A.] All life is God breathed (including DNA) (beginning in Genesis 2).

B.] Homosexuality is a sin (1 Corinthians 6:9-10) and those who continue to rebel in this sin will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

Hannah is right in that we are born into sin...but it's the original sin from Adam...the sin that is the automatic wedge from God that we have no choice or bearing over. It is not an active sin such as adultry, murder, and lying in which there is a choice involved...and as the verses following 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 say...there is healing and forgiveness for these things.

Our job, as Christians, is to love homosexuals, embrace them, proclaim the Gospel of the Kingdom to them, and be Jesus to them.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

I appreciate all of your comments. I am just struggling with the genetic factor. So God breathed into me my alcoholism? Science and research has proven that alcoholism/addiction is genetic. I certainly did not want to be an alcoholic/addict and did not choose to be one, but I am.

I am just still not convinced that homosexuality is a choice. Hannah mentioned that she has a friend that is gay and christian. I am sure you will tell me that this is not possible. I am not so sure.

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding God breathing addiction into you, no, that's not true nor possible. We live in a broken and sinful world in which we are tempted to sin constantly. At times, we fall to this temptation. I know that science has "proven" that there are some people that are genetically predisposed to certain things...but it all starts with a choice. Obesity runs in my family...and genetically, I'm sure I'm predisposed to be large somehow...but it is my choice to eat too much and not excersize, despite my genetic predisposition.

Regarding a homosexual Christian, I think that that's possible in as much as homosexuality is a sin that some people struggle with and as long as they are constantly turning these things over to Christ and seeking his healing, I would consider them a Christian. However, if they are a homosexual and NOT interested in repentence and healing, I would say that they are not a Christian. (BIG disclaimer here: I am not God and cannot determine if one is going to live with Him eternally or not, but we can discern, to a certain degree, one's heart through their fruit) Homosexuality is a sin. One indicator of our salvation is Jesus's lordship in and over our lives and if there are areas that we are not giving to Jesus, I would question that person's love for Jesus. Jesus said, If you love me, you will obey my commands.

Further more, again in 1Corinthians 6, it says: " 9Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, 10nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

It seems clear to me that it's a heart issue. If someone is working through it with Jesus, I'd discern that they're in the clear. If someone is rebelling in sin and not willing to allow Christ to heal them, I would say that they are in danger.

Here are some "not so positive" verses about homosexuality:

-1 Corinthians 6
-Genesis 19:3-6
-Judges 19:22
-Romans 1:26-27

Can you think of any positive examples of homosexuals or homosexuality in scripture?

Again, our job, as Christians, is to love homosexuals, embrace them, proclaim the Gospel of the Kingdom to them, and be Jesus to them.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

Robert,

I am still up in the air about whether or not they are born that way. I do agree the Bible says it is sin.

I totally agree with you that we should love them "as they are" and strive to be Jesus to them. But many times the church fails in this area.

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home