Friday, June 20, 2008

But much of the religion that bears his name in the cultural context I’m imbedded in–21st Century America–is misrepresenting him. The most powerful influence of the last thirty years or so has been the Religious Right. I like conservative thinkers: David Brooks, George Will is worth a listen for sure, William F. Buckley in his day. But some of the main voices in the Religious Right I have a bone to pick with. This blind marriage between one particular political philosophy–right now it’s conservatism, at an earlier time is was a Marxist liberalism–this marriage between that and the name of Jesus, has at times, bordered on the blasphemous. Crossed the line sometimes. It’s been an exercise in using the Lord’s name in vain. You say that, and people call you a liberal, but I’m of the opinion that liberal-conservative, when applied to matters of faith is a category error and I don’t buy it. So I’ve got this feisty thing going. And some of my best friends are conservative and some are liberal and if you had to characterize me as a political animal, I’d probably want to pick and choose the best of both those categories, the ones that when cobbled together would most closely resemble in some hodge-podge fashion the One I really trust, Jesus of Nazareth. - Ken Wilson Senior Pastor of Vineyard Church of Ann Arbor in his post on June 20th

3 Comments:

Blogger Bryant said...

I'm with you on this one bro. There are certain things I don't care for on both sides. Often consevatives are very stingey, and in the same way, liberals are often very immoral.

But I'm a little of both.
I don't believe in global warming at all, but I believe that God gave us this earth and we should take care of it. So I'm a little green...but I lean right as far as abortion. I can't stand by and let that happen. Then there's poverty though, and I lean left again.

Along comes the overall worship of science and self the world is leaning to and I lean and fall on Jesus.

Alot of people would probably label me one or the other, but I refuse both labels. As follwers of Christ, our whole lives, including our political stances, are affected. I guess you could say I'm somewhat torn between the two.

Anyway, how've you been bro? What's new? I miss you man.

Blessings

2:48 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

I'm probably a little left of center. Politics are a very controversial subject.

I work in a scientific field but I certainly don't worship it. I am not so sure about the whole global warming thing. Climate is cyclical. Some years are hotter or cooler than normal, or wetter or drier than normal. So global warming has not yet been proven to me yet.

Abortion is wrong I agree. But I think to make it illegal would force women to go underground and get them done under dangerous conditions. Why not try to minimize the number of abortions by making adoption more accessible and affordable and offering healthcare to poor pregnant women?

I could go on and on, but I won't. I have my opinions and others have their own. We live in a country where we have the freedom to vote. So go support your candidate.

I've been doing well. We go to the early service usually but we've seen each other a few times. Let's do lunch one day. I'll shoot you an email and we can set up a day and time.

Peace!
Keith

3:16 PM  
Blogger Bryant said...

Hmm...Those are some great points man! I can't help but agree with you, adoption is what I have been thinking is the answer too.
Offering better healthcare is unquestionably a necessity. I'm not sure how anyone should go about it, but there needs to be a change.

By the science thing I only meant that many people with an atheistic world view look to scientists (mostly evolutionist in nature) as though they can do no wrong. They don't say that I know, but I've met people where it was pretty apparent that they thought if it was "proven" scientifically, it is absolute.
Often I think we as follwers of Christ give too much notice to what's been "proven". I will narrow it to a few fields in the future to avoid confusion.

The worship of self is something that I believe all people are guilty of at times. I was targeting everybody with this one, left, right, center (myself included). I'm sorry if I offended you bro, it was not intended.

I'm not so sure who my canidate is...Obama is looking kind of good.


Sounds good man, talk to you later.

Blessings,
Bryant

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home