Friday, March 20, 2009

Aliens Among Us

I found an article written by Jack Legg over on the BWC. Below is an excerpt from it and I'll include a link to the full article at the bottom. I'd have to say that I agree with him. How about you?

Suppose I meet an illegal alien on the street. (For the sake of argument, I know he’s illegal because he is holding a big cardboard sign in front of him that says, “Hi, everybody! I am here illegally!”) He has fled his home country to seek refuge from poverty, disease, and war. Or maybe he just wanted to move. Regardless, he is hungry, he has no place to stay, and he has only the clothes on his back.

If Uncle Sam wants to pick him up and kick him out of the country, fine. Go ahead, Sam. Do your thing. I won’t stop you. But what Uncle Sam decides to do with this man has absolutely no bearing on my commitment to my fellow man.

So, when I find myself standing face to face with someone from outside one of our artificial borders, I’ll buy the guy a cheeseburger. I’ll make sure he has a place to stay for the night. And if he gets sick, I’ll make sure he gets the attention he needs. I’ll play with his kids and help them with homework and eat with the family and invite them to church. I’ll help teach him English and learn about his culture. I will listen when he speaks, and look him in the eye, and treat Him as the Image-bearer he is. Maybe I’ll even let him stay in my spare bedroom until he gets on his feet.

I’ll do all this, not because he is my fellow American, but because he is my neighbor. That used to be enough.

read the full article here

Peace!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

And all too often, your bottom line there is ever so easily forgotten. Great post, Keith.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Wow, that was so beautifully and simply put.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

Hey Hannah. Great to hear from you stranger. Hope things are going well for you.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home