Sunday, February 19, 2006

D.N.F.

Well folks, for those that don't know what DNF means, it stands for DID NOT FINISH! I dropped out of the race at mile 18. The funny thing is, i don't really know why or what really went wrong. I was feeling so good, was on pace and crossed the halfway point at exactly 2 hours and 30 minutes. But around mile 16 my legs cramped up. I'm talking calves, hamstrings and quads. I've had cramps before but they went away or worked themselves out. At mile 18 I could barely walk so with 8 miles still to go I dropped out. Enough said. I do know one thing though. I don't think I ever want to attempt another full marathon again. I'm 44, didn't start running until I was 40, Have strted 3 marathons and finished 2 of them. I think I will stick to the half marathon distance from here on out. I am somewhat disappointed in that I don't like to quit, but I really feel I made the best decision today because it would have been miserable. So thats it in a nutshell. I'm just gonna relax today and tomorrow. My dad gave me a check for $100 toward the Youth Mission Trips though so that was cool. Since I didn't finish and some of you pledged some money I guess you can bail on the pledge or just give as you feel led. Thanks for all the support I had. My parents were there. My wife cooked me a wonderful pasta dinner last night and she put up with my training schedule for 4 months. Thanks honey, you're the bomb! Patty and her sister Maureen also ran the 8k trail race today and they both finished. Peace out folks. I'm gonna go ice my legs.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pinay said...

Hi Sir, I�m back. How are you? I hope your legs will be fine. No worries, being in the marathon at 44--that�s remarkable! I�ve never been in one! Haha! Hope everything�s well with you. Just want to give a Hi! Talk to you later!

Pinay

6:32 PM  
Blogger friend said...

I'm in - good job - I am impressed since I dropped out at 6 miles.

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home