Thursday, June 21, 2007

Republicans for Obama

And yes I am one! Although I am now a former Republican :-)

There is an interesting phenomenon that has arisen over the last few months: a trend of moderate Republicans who want to vote for Barack Obama. It may seem counterintuitive, conservatives supporting a candidate who wants to tax the wealthy and embrace the conventions in the Kyoto Accord, but there is something in Obama’s message about ridding politics of partisanship that is appealing to these Republicans.
He doesn’t carry the baggage of a Hillary Clinton. He is new; he seems authentic — although his connection to indicted fund-raiser Tony Rezko has made some previous supporters wonder — and he has more gravitas than pretty boy John Edwards. The Republicans who like him may have supported John McCain in the past, but after eight years of the Bush White House they feel they can no longer support the Republican field. The idea of a congressional glasnost — a harmonic nonpartisanship in Washington — is an Obama goal they endorse.
Some of these right-wing Obama supporters are putative country club Republicans, hailing from areas similar to the North Shore of Chicago. Others are professionals who are disillusioned by the Bush administration’s failure to develop a sound domestic policy to redress issues of health care and Social Security or to end the relentless war in Iraq.
Add to this the secrecy of the Bush administration, the Scooter Libby affair, the unfortunate choice of Alberto Gonzales as attorney general, the scandals of Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo, the Tom DeLays and Mark Foleys, and there remains an unsavory stew of problems for those once proud to call themselves Republican.

Read more here

5 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Alright Keith,

I can flat disagee with you without the fear of fire and brimstone raining down on me.

Obama talks good, real good. What little he says he wants to do, and in his non-specifics he's no different than any of the other panderers hoping to be annointed, would cost stupid amounts of money that just aren't going to magically appear. My conclusion, like the rest, he means what he says and just isn't smart enough to be President; or, he is just as cynical as the rest and doesn't mean what he say and thus doesn't deserve to be President, just like the rest of them. Doesn't leave me with much, does it?

So you know my track record with Prezs, I started in 1972 and since, have voted for one winner, Clinton in his first run, to my everlasting regret. Since then, I've sat them out.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Absolutely you can disagree. So far he impresses me though. So I guess we can agree to disagree then. And the check came today. Thanks a bunch. It will be used well. I posted awhile back about my trip down there and there is a picture I posted of 3 of the boys sitting at an ice cream parlor in Magdelena. we take them there every time we go down there. So they will definitely be getting some ice cream on you too.

Thanks again man!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Sounds like the important things are covered!

5:24 PM  
Blogger ckincaid@xdx.com said...

wThe hard thing is that I like what Barack seems to stand for, generally speaking. The Republicans have screwed it up royally. But I haven't given up on them yet. Don't blame bush for hiring Gonzalez, blame the success on Reagan if you have to. Gonzales, Rumsfeld, Cheney, all those guys are results of the Republican machine that gained traction in the '80's. The Republican party has lost it's focus. It's feigned (sp?) interest in our religious interests, and ignored our fiscal interests. The end result has been a complete back-firing. Our religious/social interests have been bastardized, and our fiscal interests even moreso. I don't have time or space to share all my thoughts or opinions here, but let me say I still think George has a decent heart, but he's been a victim of the political machine. And we've all lost.

Barack is nothing more than Slick Willie in a slicker package. And I LIKE Barack. Because he's slick, and he speaks to what I WANT. But if The Machine did what it did to George, imagine what it can do to Barack... Scary!

I like Barack. But I like Rudy better. As a presidential candidate. Pro-choice and all. Even though I don't agree with that. He's going to be more fiscally responsible. If we get a Barack in there with the current congress, watch your pocket books, working Americans! It's back to aJimmy Carter economy. 15%+ interest. Deficits out of control (do you know tax breaks are working, deficits are lower now? No one's talking about that).

That's it. I almost shouldn't have responded because this is so complex and I haven't even touched the surface.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

But I so appreciate your thoughts bro'. For those that don't know, Carl is my brother. And he rawks! I still like Obama better than Rudy.

I would be curious to hear your thoughts on Fred Thompson. So do tell!

Miss you guys man!

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home