Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Tony Soprano died folks

I am a pretty big fan of The Sopranos. But the ending was pretty much left to interpretation. We receive a weekly newspaper called the Gilbert Independent. Well it was sitting in my driveway today and I decided to read it while I ate my lunch. (I'm still on vacation, but reality sets in tomorrow when I get to return to work) My attention turned to the opinion page with a letter sent in by a PJ Cammarata. Even sounds Italian. But the ending makes sense the way PJ described it. Here is what PJ wrote:

Brilliant Show, Genius Finale

Everyone missed the point of the Sopranos brilliant ending. I would love to help all the Sopranos fans who think the ending was a disappointment because it was actually absolutely brilliant.

Tony was killed.

The ending was genius if you've paid attention to the show or are just a fan of well-developed plots that all tie together.

The ending was simple, he got killed, but let me tell you why and explain in detail. There were three people in the room who had a reason to kill Tony.

The two guys, they were paid before to kill Tony but he was only shot in the ear, this was in one of the earlier seasons. Also in the earlier seasons the trucker who was sitting at the bar stool, who the camera kept focusing in on, is Nicky Leotardo, Phil Leotardo's nephew. He was in one of the early season episodes where Phil and Tony have a sit down.

Here's where the genius comes in.

When Tony is walking in the diner, you see the camera focus on him, then it switches to his perspective, and you see him looking at the booth. Then the camera switches back to Tony's face, then it once again switches to his perspective, and it shows him looking at the door and looking at the people come in. Every time the door opens the chimes sound. Meadow is parking, still trying to get inside the restaurant. At this point the camera switches back to the trucker who goes in the bathroom.

Then it goes to a scene where Meadow finally parks and starts running in the diner.

The door is about to open, Tony looks up and no chimes. No music. Everything just goes black.

In one of the earlier episodes of the Sopranos, Tony's talking with Bobby about what it must feel like to die.

Bobby said, "at the end, you probably don't hear anything, everything just goes black."

It was a brilliant ending for the true fan.

So folks, PJ figured it out for me and I thought I was a true fan. Great show, but I only started watching it at season 3.

Tony's dead! The end!

Now fade to black!

2 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

Oh, that makes such perfect sense! I am much happier about it now.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I took the liberty of forwarding your post to some friends who are big Sopranos fans. I didn't watch too much of the series; but, it makes sense to me.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home