Friday, January 25, 2008

An interview with Obama by Christianity Today

You've talked about your experience walking down the aisle at Trinity United Church of Christ, and kneeling beneath the cross, having your sins redeemed, and submitting to God's will. Would you describe that as a conversion? Do you consider yourself born again?

I am a Christian, and I am a devout Christian. I believe in the redemptive death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I believe that that faith gives me a path to be cleansed of sin and have eternal life. But most importantly, I believe in the example that Jesus set by feeding the hungry and healing the sick and always prioritizing the least of these over the powerful. I didn't 'fall out in church' as they say, but there was a very strong awakening in me of the importance of these issues in my life. I didn't want to walk alone on this journey. Accepting Jesus Christ in my life has been a powerful guide for my conduct and my values and my ideals.

There is one thing that I want to mention that I think is important. Part of what we've been seeing during the course this campaign is some scurrilous e-mails that have been sent out, denying my faith, talking about me being a Muslim, suggesting that I got sworn in the U.S. Senate with a Quran in my hand or that I don't pledge allegiance to the flag. I think it's really important for your readers to know that I have been a member of the same church for almost 20 years, and I have never practiced Islam. I am respectful of the religion, but it's not my own. One of the things that's very important in this day and age is that we don't use religion as a political tool and certainly that we don't lie about religion as a way to score political points. I just thought it was important to get that in there to dispel rumors that have been over the Internet. We've done so repeatedly, but obviously it's a political tactic of somebody to try to provide this misinformation.

read the full interview here

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

Thanks Keith, for posting that. I will sure as heck point people in the direction of either your post or the article as I, for one, am really tired and disgusted with whoever put out that obnoxious e-mail in which they totally slandered Obama, with respect to the religion and patriotism factors. Great post, very informative.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

In my perfect world, political leaders and candidates would be informed by their religion, if any, and more importantly, their moral and philosophical beliefs.

I don't care if Senator Obama is a Christian or a Muslim. I don't care if Governor Huckabee is a Southern Baptist. I don't care if Governor Romney is a LDS member. I do care if any of them, or another tries to impose their morality, beliefs, religion or philosophy on me.

Sorry Keith, I'm in an ornery mood today.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

It might surprise you Dave, but I agree 100% with you. That is one of the reasons I like Obama. I don't think he will impose those things on you.

I think the gist of the article was in response to an email (I've received it several times) that states he is a Muslim. Which he is not, but even if he were, I would not have a problem with that.

Oh, and by the way, I'm in a pretty pissy mood myself today. But I'm heading to the orphanage in the morning and I am sure those kids will bring my mood and spirits back up where they should be. They always do!

Have a great weekend man!
Peace,
Keith

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home