Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Wayne Jacobsen writes, and I have to agree with him on this...

How quick we are to take our eyes off of Jesus and put it on ‘the church’ in its myriad of expressions. When we do the life is lost, because there is life in no other but the Son. There are lots of ways believers can gather and encourage each other. But at the heart of it, Jesus must have first place in all things. That’s what makes the church, the church! It isn’t where we meet or how we meet, but the church ‘gathers’ around the supremacy of Christ. Read Colossians 1 again some time and bask in the simple joy that Jesus is the first born of the new creation.

Where we are focused on him we get to experience the life of the church with him. When we are focused on any other thing, including whatever church model we’re trying to implement, we’ll only get to experience the model. What a horrible trade-off, in my view!


I've been enjoying Wayne's writings and website. If you've never listened to him, he's got a great podcast too. Go over and visit him at http://www.lifestream.org/.

Be encouraged and keep encouraging others.

Peace!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abiding in Christ is number one, for sure. Something that should come through that, though, is fruit.

Where there is fruit, there is growth.

Isn't the "postmodern church" a church model? There has to be some sort of organization to doing Christ's work as he calls. If not, we will all follow our own visions and few would work in the same direction.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

I agree with you that the postmodern church is a model. If I were to choose a model, it would be that one. But the bottom line to me is that we follow Christ.

I certainly am not going to debate these things. Because it would get me nowhere. It also would not glorify Christ if I did.

I see more fruit in my life than I did even two years ago. I have a kind caring heart for people that are lost and God loves me tremendously. (BTW...He loves Huckabee and Obama just the same. And may I add Clinton, McCain and Romney too :-))

Be encouraged brotha'. Love ya man!

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed.

I agree that there has been a lot of growth in you from the first time I met you. Keep in Christ and growing.

I love you too.

Robert

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home