Friday, April 18, 2008

1329 miles and I'm back!

So I just got back from my week long road trip. I drove a total of 1329 miles. In those miles I saw, heard, and did a lot of things. For those that don't know, I have to hit the road twice a year to inspect and maintain the weather equipment that so many people across the entire U.S.A. volunteer to do for us and you. You would be amazed at some of the requests we get at our office for weather data. For legal cases, agricultural issues, etc.

Work wise, this trip was uneventful. All equipment was operating good and all that was required of me was routine preventive maintenance. The joy I get out of it is being out of the office and talking to the people. I had the opportunity to give out some awards on this trip to some folks that have been doing this for us for 25 years. I also handed out some awards to institutions that have been keeping the weather data for us for 75 years. They were very appreciative of the recognition and we appreciate all that they do.

Outside of the work part was some things I observed on this trip. While I was in Blythe CA I had to fill my work truck up because I was heading out to some very remote sites. While I was filling up and also cleaning all of the crap off of the windshield, a gentleman came up and was poking through the garbage. At first, I thought he was looking for cans or something. But he was actually looking for food. He picked a styrofoam container out of the trash, opened it, and what I can only assume found what he thought was edible. It looked nasty to me. But he took his bike and went over behind the station and proceeded to eat it. It was leftover chicken wings. I walked over to him and asked if there was anything I could do for him. He was very evasive. Did not really want to talk. I just told him that if he wanted something to eat, I would gladly buy it for him. He just sort of looked at me and said "thank you my friend". I had to head out so I gave him $20 and told him that I would be praying for him.

While I was in Parker AZ I was behind a Native American lady that was buying Similac, which is a baby formula. She was using some sort of "program" that helps folks like her get stuff like that. I don't know if it was a government thing like W.I.C. or if it was a Tribal program. The cashier said that she did not have enough for all of the Similac. I just interrupted and asked her how much it was and paid for it. The Native American lady had some tears in her eye. I just told her that it would be okay and to take it. She gave me a hug as she left, along with a smile.

I did not know either of these folks. But I do believe that I was there for a reason. I just wish that all people that are Christ Followers could do this instead of argue with each other over who is right. Sometimes the church imposes rules on what you can and can't do and I think that that scares a lot of folks away.

Whether your a fundamentalist, reformed, calvinist, modern, post-modern, emergent...Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, Lutheran...you get my drift here? What does it matter?

If we ALL just loved God, our neighbor and our enemies, WHAT's The FRIGGIN' PROBLEM?

We are not the morality police. God is.

Nuff' said.

Love someone today that is less fortunate than you. Encourage someone. Don't berate them with doctrine and rules and legalism. God loves EVERYBODY! You don't have to take a class to be a leader or a better Christ Follower, just follow God and you'll be fine.

Peace! I'm glad to be home.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

Glad you are back home too, Keith and what a wonderful ministry you performed while on the road this trip. That is what you did is -ministry -to the poor, the down-trodden, the needy -without asking questions or judging their circumstances. Makes me feel very proud to call you a friend and I wish all of us would see and take the opportunities as they present themselves to us to act in a like vein. It's not that difficult a concept, is it?
Peace.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

I just feel it is what all Christ Followers should do. I am glad to call you a friend too. I admire what you do to keep your family together. Keep doing what you're doing.
Peace!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Some worthwhile miles.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job Doin' the Stuff, Keith. Blessings to you.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home