Friday, June 06, 2008

Back home again

I arrived in Kansas City Monday evening about 7:45 pm. There was a nice breeze blowing but it was pretty humid. Caught the shuttle to the hotel and talked to my brother on the phone. We arranged for him to pick me up at 5 pm. Tuesday after I got out of class. I watched the very long 3 overtime hockey game that night that ended after midnight. Went to class at 8 am Tuesday. This class was so boring, I won't even talk about it. But I did have fun catching up with my old Air Force buddy Mark.

Tuesday evening my brother Carl came and got me at 5 pm. We headed to see my youngest nephew Jaxon play baseball. He was the catcher and I got to see him throw two people out at 2nd base and I think he got a hit too but I was at the snack bar and missed it. After the second inning, the storms hit. It was looking threatening even before the game started. But it got wild and wooly with the very strong storms. They called the game and we headed to my brothers house to hang out for a bit. The storms continued and it was very enjoyable to me to see some good ole midwest thinderstorms again. We then went out to eat and I got to visit with my brother Carl, his wife Jackie, my nephew Seth and his girlfriend Amber, my niece Andie and her boyfriend Garret, and my youngest nephew Jaxon. It was great to see them all again and I had a ball. Carl took me back to the hotel about 10 pm.

Wednesday night I went out to dinner with my Air Force buddy Mark. We caught up on what has been happening in both of our lives. The last time we saw each other was in 1997 at a class in Kansas City. We partied pretty hard at that time. But we have both mellowed out these days. We talked about our families, what we have been doing and talked about our Air Force days. We then talked about our faith. It turns out that he has become a Christ Follower too. It was just awesome to sit and shoot the breeze with each other and talk about our familes.

Last night a line of very strong thunderstorms came through the Kansas City area about 11 pm and lasted until about 2:30 in the morning. There were a few Tornado and Severe Thunderstorm warnings out but nothing real bad right where I was at.

One thing that struck me as very funny though about my stay at The Homewood Suites in Kansas City though. The NWS Training Center is right behind the hotel. When I checked in Monday night, my room was on the second floor so I got on the elevator. Posted in the elevator was the forecast for the next few days. Guess who the forecast was from? You'd think it was from the National Weather Service right? N-O-T! The forecast was by Accuweather.




Blogger Jeni said...

Just a little further proof maybe that my former employer IS really the largest private weather forecasting company in the world!
I'll have to remember to let some of my old buddies at AccuWeather know about that. It's something they would definitely get a chuckle out of anyway!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

You used to work for the enemy huh? Email me sometime about what you did there.

I just laughed my ass off when I saw that in the elevator. It was pretty funny to me.

Peace my friend!

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home