Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A friend of mine defines typical relationships as the "mutual accommodation of self-need." He doesn't intend it to be flattering. What he means is that our friendships last only as long as we can satisfy some deep need in each other for security, acceptance, or status. That is why most friendships with other believers are task-oriented and survive only as long as we work on the same task together. As long as you go along with the program, you will find acceptance. However, if you ask the wrong question, miss a few meetings, or even (God forbid!) leave to attend another fellowship, the friendships suddenly stop or turn hostile.

pgs 18-19 authentic relationships - discover the lost art of "one anothering"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes, much like a young man leaving his family and building his own, a person stays busy with the work in front of them and isn't able to see his "family" as often as he once was.

Though it's not lunch, I look forward to seeing you on Sunday.

Your friend, Robert

8:45 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

Dude,

You and I are doing lunch sometime. You even told me that you would. I certainly understand busyness, ministry, the discipleship you do, and above all else hanging with your immediate family.

I was posting a part of the book that touched me personally in a situation I am in and it was certainly not directed at you brother.

You are a friend, and I can say that through knowing you personally.

Peace!
Keith

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home