Saturday, September 20, 2008

Stuff I need to get out

This post is really not directed at any one person. It is just stuff that I've been kicking around with Papa (God) lately. I've been back in the groove of late of getting regular exercise and it just makes you feel so good. These are times that I take out for myself and I find it a good thing. While I am working out or running, these are the times I talk to Papa. I used to put headphones on and just blast some really loud music while I am lifting weights or running. I still do this on occasion, but lately I have just been enjoying my time with Papa.

That's really what prayer is, talking to God. When I am really in a state of worship, I can hear His voice. And this post is just about some things that Papa is teaching me on my journey.

I tend to bash the "institution" of church. Not because I don't like the church. I love the church. What I don't like about the church is the judgement and condemnation that comes from leadership based on what they themselves believe is right or wrong. There are many issues that come up in churches that are addressed in unkind, unloving ways. Now don't get me wrong here. I am not talking about sin issues. Although then you can get into an argument about whether or not it is sin. It's all a big power game in my opinion.

I like my church. I like other churches I have been a part of in the past. But I am now no longer interested in being a part of any leadership at all. Papa has told me to just go out and be who I want you to be. Encourage others, love others, help others, support others, pray for others. I will direct you to where I want you to go.

Some have said that I have a problem with authority. That's actually kind of funny to myself. The only places I have been told this is churches. Never at my workplace, or from my bosses over the years. That just strikes me as odd.

I basically believe that as a Christ Follower, I am to love God, and love others. Those are His two biggest commandements. Everything else is just minor and churches, and especially church leadership, seem to always be arguing and disagreeing on stupid issues. When I read the book UnChristian, which was basically a report on the research a guy did on what people today think of the church, it did not surprise me at all.

Some churches that I have left because of a difference of opinion I still have a bit of anger about. When you leave a church and you were friends with folks there, why do they want nothing to do with you after you leave? Were they not really friends? I am still friends with several people that I still meet with today and they are still a part of a church that I left. These are real friends. And in my mind, true Christ Followers.

I am comfortable not being in any part of leadership. I will continue to serve where I can. I serve at the orphanage, I serve at the Drop-In center when I can, I mentor people that struggle in the area of addiction and I hang out with those that do not follow Christ.

I will post more on my journey as I continue to seek where He wants me to go.

We just got back today from Tucson. We celebrated my birthday a week early at my mom's house last night. We met at Hot Dog Heaven (they make awesome Chicago Dogs) and then went to the house for cake and ice cream. My mom was there, Patty and I, my grandma, my cousin Jael and her husband Guillermo, and my Uncle Kerry and Aunt Lynn. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time since we sat around and told stories about some very funny stuff back in the earlier days.

I may have a major announcement coming up that will drastically change Patty and I's lives. But I don't want to say anything until things are more evident that it will happen. So stay tuned!

Grace and Peace!

I found this piece about Leaderman vs. Servant Leader on this blogpost.

Servant Leader: Has something to say
LeaderMan: Wants a platform on which to say something
-----------
LeaderMan: You almost feel you know his family, because he's your Leader
Servant Leader: You allow him to influence you, because you know his family
-----------
LeaderMan: Wants you to know he's a Leader
Servant Leader: You're not sure he knows he's a leader
-----------
LeaderMan: Loves the idea of the Gospel, and the idea of The Church
Servant Leader: Loves God and the actual individual people God brings across his path
-----------
LeaderMan: A great speaker, but self-described as, "Not really a people person."
Servant Leader: Makes himself a people person
-----------
LeaderMan: Helps you find where God is leading you in his organization
Servant Leader: Helps you find where God is leading you
-----------
LeaderMan: Gets together with you to talk about his vision
Servant Leader: Just gets together with you
-----------
LeaderMan: Resents "sheep stealing"
Servant Leader: Doesn't get the "stealing" part, since he doesn't own anyone to begin with
-----------
LeaderMan: Wants the right people on the bus
Servant Leader: Wants to find the right bus for you, and sit next to you on it
-----------
Servant Leader: Shows you his whole heart
LeaderMan: Shows you a flow chart
-----------
LeaderMan: A visionary who knows what the future looks like
Servant Leader: Knows what your kitchen looks like
-----------
LeaderMan: If it's worth doing, it worth doing with excellence
Servant Leader: Not exactly sure how to even calculate "worth doing"
-----------
LeaderMan: Talks about confronting one another in love
Servant Leader: Actually confronts you in love
-----------
LeaderMan: Impressed by success and successful people
Servant Leader: Impressed by faithfulness
-----------
LeaderMan: Invests time in you, if you are "key people"
Servant Leader: Wastes time with you
-----------
LeaderMan: Reveals sins of his past
Servant Leader: Reveals sins of his present
----------
LeaderMan: Gives you things to do
Servant Leader: Gives you freedom
-----------
LeaderMan: Leads because of official position
Servant Leader: Leads in spite of position
-----------
LeaderMan: Deep down, threatened by other Leaders
Servant Leader: Has nothing to lose

I think I like the Servant Leader!!!!!!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

You know Keith, the more I read your blog, the more I think that it would be great if somehow, sometime, you and my son could meet! He and I have some differences of opinion about churches -particularly of a leadership/authority type -kind of hard to explain but he claims not to like/approve of organized religion as he views the "church" today. Me, not so much. Where I do see some conflicts there, I am able to overlook them without pulling away from the church itself -he can't bring himself to come to the community of "church." No, it's not a difference in beliefs like "if you don't belong/attend church, you aren't a Christian" or that type of thing, I view the church as a community of people, grouped together, caring for each other -he doesn't see it in quite that manner but rather as a hand, outstreched, asking only for money. Got any suggestions?

3:01 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Well Jeni, not sure of anything I could suggest. I would reach out to him if I were there.

I guess you could find someone his age that maybe has some things in common with your son. Someone that you know is a Christian that could reach out to him.

I can definitely pray about it, that God would put someone in his path that would draw him to "Him".

Grace and Peace you you and your son.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Chicago dog? Salad with something in the middle. Chili dog. Slaw dog. New York street dog, love the red onion sauce.Cpney Island, interestingly from Detroit and made by mostly Greeks.

Got to get your dog conscious elevated.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Some churches that I have left because of a difference of opinion I still have a bit of anger about. When you leave a church and you were friends with folks there, why do they want nothing to do with you after you leave? Were they not really friends? I am still friends with several people that I still meet with today and they are still a part of a church that I left. These are real friends. And in my mind, true Christ Followers."

God help us....tis sad that this happens sometimes....i understand certain cases if folks want to just be a drag and cut crap up with their tongues or whatever (I'm sure there are other valid instances for withdrawing from fellowship), but too often it is just because...."the don't go here anymore." sad....and a pity...

8:57 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

Hey Dave,

I am still a fan of the Chicago Dog. Salad with something in the middle. That's funny! I've had chili dogs and slaw dogs. I like those too, but the Chicago Dog is still my favorite. When we go to Mexico, they make a hot dog with mayo and guacamole. Sounds kind of strange, but I actually took a liking to it.

Todd,
Thanks for checking in brother. Tis' sad indeed. I really don't know if it is an issue of they're right and I'm wrong. I guess then that the friendship was conditional. But I'm doing well man. Haven't been better. Papa has been very good to me and guiding me along the path.

Peace!

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home