Monday, December 15, 2008

Official Training begins today

"In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, 'I have finished.' There is a lot of satisfaction in that."
-Fred Lebow, New York City Marathon co-founder

I've decided to do it and the training starts today...all in preparation for The Valley of the Sun Half Marathon on March 9 2009.

12 weeks of following the Hal Higdon Novice Half Marathon Training guide. To kick it all off today who woulda thunk that I don't even have to run today. This is what my first week of training will look like...

Today...Strength Training and Stretching
Tue...3 mile run
Wed...2 mile run
Thu...3 mile run and strength training
Fri...Rest
Sat...30 minutes cross training (bike, elliptical or stairmaster)
Sun...4 mile run

I'm going to try and stick to this plan exactly. The week we go to Cabo in February will be the hard part and that is a month out from the half marathon. Long runs are always on Sundays progressing up to a 10 mile run the week before the race. I'll be running with a co-worker of mine who will be following the same training plan. So...wish us luck.

I'll do some posts along the way updating my progress and how I'm doing and feeling.

Peace!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck!

I also read your post about visiting the prison. It's a great work that needs to be done.

"..truly the harvest is plentious but the labourers are few.."

Debo Blue

3:23 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Sounds like a good game plan, Keith -and the fact you have a co-worker doing it with you should prove more helpful in keeping you on target that way. I really admire anyone who has the perseverance to train like that -well, the ability to even run is something I admire too! Will be pulling for you to get yourself all ready for the marathon!

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home