Sunday, March 05, 2006

Conversation

From pages 108-109 of Brian McLaren's book A New Kind of Christian

"You use the word conversation a lot," I observed.

"Actually, if there's one thing I wish I could tell every Christian about evangelism in the postmodern world," he replied, "it would be about that word. I would say to stop counting conversions, because our whole approach to conversion is so, I don't know, mechanistic and consumeristic and individualistic and controlling. Instead, I'd encourage us to count conversations, because conversation implies a real relationship, and if we make our goal to establish relationships and engage in authentic conversations, I know that conversions will happen. But if we keep trying to convert people, we'll simply drive them away. They're sick of our sales pitches and our formulas."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home