Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Didn't even see one!

For those wondering about my rattlesnake hunting adventure, sorry! We didn't even see one. Zip, zilch, nada, zero, nil! We saw two non-venomous snakes that Jeff picked up and played with. He brought along his Colt .45 and fired that off a few times. Once at a rabbit and I swear he only missed it by less than an inch judging by the dirt and rocks that flew when the bullet hit the ground.

I guess I mis-spoke in an earlier post about it being peak rattlesnake season. That was actually about a month ago. Anyhow, we did get a lot of hiking in. I was glad we went early in the morning because it was hotter than hell by 10 o'clock.

I ended up with a jumping cactus in my foot that Jeff had to pull out with pliers. Like an idiot, I wore tennis shoes (probably not the smartest thing to do while rattlesnake hunting either) and the cactus just went right through them. I would be lying if I said I was not a little bit nervous while we were looking for the ever elusive western diamondback. When you're walking through brush and you can't see the ground underneath you, yeah it made me nervous. The worse part was when we were climbing up and down and all around the rocky areas. That spooked me a lot, not knowing what was on the other side.

I had fun and good fellowship with Jeff though. He's a great guy and it was cool of him to take me out. I will go again and I will catch me a rattlesnake. For those who asked what he does with them. He catches them alive and puts them in a bag then dumps them in a iced chest where he says that puts them into hibernation. He then kills them and eats them. they say it tastes like chicken. Yeah right.

Tomorrow I will be heading down to Tucson to see my parents and stay the night with them. I will also be taking my mom out for our annual Mother's Day lunch while I'm there. Til next time...Ciao!

3 Comments:

Blogger The Sham Chef said...

Better a cactus in your foot than a pair of fangs!

Glad you had a good time, Jeff is a great guy and quite an outdoorsman.

I have eaten Rattlesnake and I don't think it tastes like chicken... I think it tastes like.... ummmm.... Snake.

The Commander

7:11 PM  
Blogger Pinay said...

funny you missed the rattlesnake. next time maybe you'll have better chances. and i hope that cactus didn't done much damage.

they (my cousins & uncles) say snakes do taste like chicken. maybe.

well, i really wanted to say, i'm glad your friend missed the rabbit. poor creature. ;p

Happy mothers' day to your mom and Ms. Patty.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Pinay said...

oops, i screwed. i meant was: "didn't do much damage".

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home