Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Amadeo Fight Club

We had a very interesting situation develop at Drop-In last night. As I arrived at the Clubhouse I was parking my car and there were a group of about 10 guys that were arguing in the parking lot. Teenagers about high school aged. It didn't seem all that bad at first, just verbal jabbing at each other. We had Corn Dogs and ice pops last night and we planned on handing the ice pops out to people hanging out in the park.

About 630 pm the Amadeo Youth started arriving and heading over to the cabana by the volleyball courts where we usually hangout every Monday night.

I wandered back over to the clubhouse and noticed a large group of teens hanging out right between the pool and the clubhouse. As I got closer I noticed that it was the same group that was hanging in the parking lot earlier. But one group had brought some enforcements, bigger and older guys. I just kind of wandered over and observed what was happening and what was being said. It was then that I knew they were getting ready to rumble so to speak.

But.................lo and behold...........out come the Amadeo Youth with the freeze pops and they walked right between the two rival groups just as they were squaring off to fight and they just started handing them out to everyone. A fight never happened. I had a chance to chat with a few of the folks that were still hanging around after the other rival group left. God is good man! He even uses freeze pops to stop fights. How cool is that?

Be moved!

2 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

That is so freakin' awesome! I would have kind of been scared to send them over there... not that God can't protect them or anything. God is good. :)

6:30 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

Actually I did not sned them over there. I think they saw what was going down and just did it.

The adults were in the clubhouse for their small group meeting and I had informed them of what was happening.

I was standing near the two rival groups with my cell phone in hand just in case they all started fighting. Like I said in my post, some of the guys were pretty big too and just the number of the folks involved made me a little nervous.

But it was the Amadeo kids that took the initiative and just walked right through them while it was starting to go down. I don't know if anyone specifically told them to do it. We were planning on handing the freeze pops out to the kids in the park anyhow. All I know is, that it was obvious that these guys were going to brawl, and our kids just walked right in the middle of it and started handing out the freeze pops and the situation was brought down to a much cooler level.

I got to talk to one of the groups that was going to fight afterwards and had a pretty good conversation with them.

It was all good in the end!

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home