Thursday, April 26, 2007

What would Jesus REALLY do?

When did it come to the point that being a Christian meant caring about only two issues,­ abortion and homosexuality?

Ask the nonreligious what being a Christian today means, and based on what we see and read, it's a good bet they will say that followers of Jesus Christ are preoccupied with those two points.
Poverty? Whatever. Homelessness? An afterthought. A widening gap between the have and have-nots? Immaterial. Divorce? The divorce rate of Christians mirrors the national average, so that's no big deal.

The point is that being a Christian should be about more than abortion and homosexuality, and it's high time that those not considered a part of the religious right expose the hypocrisy of our brothers and sisters in Christianity and take back the faith. And those on the left who believe they have a "get out of sin free" card must not be allowed to justify their actions.

Martin: What would Jesus really do?

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Keith, don't take this wrong, but are you sure you're really a Christian? Of course you are and you identify with the guy from CNN. Were it that more people had your sensibility.

I took the liberty of doing a post about the CNN guy, you and what I don't like about some Christians.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Dave,

I really appreciate your comment. Yes I am a Christian. I consider myself a "Red Letter Christian" and believe in Christ's grace and mercy more than religious rules and legalism.

Politically I lean more to the left than the right but consider myself more of an independent centrist.

I was very wounded by a church that we were a part of for a long time after I saw all of the hypocrisy and legalism of the way their "denomination" handled things.

I'm not a Baptist, a Catholic, a Lutheran, Methodist, whatever. I am a Christian.

I accept people the way they are and can dialogue with anybody. I'll accept you if you are gay, straight, bi. I don't have to agree with you, but I am no better than anyone else.

I won't picket an abortion clinic, but I do not agree with abortion. Could you imagine being an unwed teen, walking through a line of Christian spewing hate and child killer at you while you are in the predicament you are in?

I don't think Jesus would do that. Do you?

Anyhow, that's a little bit about what I believe in short form.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

I found your blog via Dave's, and I'm so glad I did. I love the points made by Martin. I wish we could live up to that more.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Ripple said...

It's one thing to be Christian, and it's another thing to be socially responsible. Some Christians need to wake up. Good luck with that....

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home