Thursday, September 20, 2007

Following Jesus everyday

I was reading an excellent article on The Ooze today written by Davey Buhl. He talks about how the x and y generations have been turned off by the church. A lot of churches that I have been a part of in the past do follow Jesus on Sunday mornings, but don't practice what they preach outside of that. I have to say that I agree with him. I like where the emerging church is going and the way we have traditionally done church in the past has got to change, and I believe for the most part that a lot are changing. Here is an excerpt then a link to the entire article...

The beauty of Jesus is that He is everywhere all the time in the person of the Holy Spirit. We may not be seeing Him in our everyday life because we have already placed him in a compartment somewhere. I've lived in both camps. I have lived a life of religion and compartmentalization and I have lived on the move and have experienced the leading of His Spirit. In many ways, not growing up in a church environment made it easier for me to trust God and His leading in the very beginning of my Christian life. I had never learned how to box God into a Sunday morning. I learned all that later.

It's a hard pill to swallow for a lot of folks but the x and y generations for the most part do not like or participate in our tradition. They are interested in knowing more about Jesus but they see traditional church as way too political and unfriendly. Most of us do not see it that way but that is the perception. Research has proven it statistically that the American church is losing ground.

There are shifts and changes in the church throughout history. There is one taking place in America right now. Some see it and some don't but it is happening. We need to break out of our compartment complex so that we can see our life with Jesus every day.

THE COMPARTMENT COMPLEX

2 Comments:

Blogger Bryant said...

It's so true. We have put God in a box. Jesus is with us everyday and we can't just ignore that, otherwise we're just phonies.
The church used to be bolder, used to live for God Almighty even when there was nothing material to gain, and no one was patting them on the back, and they had everything on this earth to lose.
Each of the 12 disciples died for the sake of the gospel. We as the church are often ashamed and afraid of what someone might think.
How did it come to this?
I want us to be the church our church fathers were. I want to be like them, living for Jesus no matter what. I want to be the man that if there was a gun to my head I would still proclaim the Gospel of Christ. That I would live without any fear on this earth.

I know this was kind of long, but anyway.

God bless, and peaceout

8:46 PM  
Blogger Debo Blue said...

Hey Keith, thanks for visiting my site and sharing your comments.

Regarding today's "church", I'm like Crusader in that I feel what brought us through back then is strong enough to lead us forward today.

Now, there are some rituals we need to dispose of, especially in my ultra-strict church where movie-going and wearing makeup is still frowned upon.

We're a "city built on a hill" and the world needs to see our light. Our light is not as easily discerned if we mirror the world in everything.

I like your site and I'll be back.

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home