Saturday, December 01, 2007

Conversation vs. Preaching

A lot of churches turn people off because the church won't allow anyone to question them. The church is right, all the time. A lot of churches will automatically disregard someone if they question something. Why is that?

I have found that it is much better to develop a friendship with someone instead of preaching at them. I have been having a conversation with 2 younger men. They are both in their 20's. One is an athiest and the other is agnostic. We share a common denominator and that would be our musical tastes. Both of these guys know my belief. They know that I am a christian, they know of my church and how active I am in it.

All three of us attended a concert not too long ago. They were asking me questions about Jesus and why I believe what I believe. They also said that there was a difference in me from other christians that they know. They respect me because I don't knock them for their belief and I do not judge them. They told me some stuff that has been said to them by other christians that turns my stomach. I know that not all christians are like that, but I would say that a lot of them are.

Instead of judging others by what they believe, become their friend and converse with them. let them explain why they believe what they believe. It is not my job to convert someone over to what I believe. That is God's job. I can only show others love and friendship through my actions, and God will do the rest.

I strive every day to do something nice for someone. Do I fail? Absolutely! But I keep trying. Do something kind for someone this week. If you can, do it every day. Let me know what it did for you. I can tell you this, when I do that, it brings joy to my heart to show kindness to someone.

Be MoVeD!

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

Judgemental often is the IN word with some Christians - or so it would appear at times. If you don't believe in shunning the gay community, you are not a good Christian; support pro-choice - not a good Christian; in favor of the death penalty -oh now, that often is a requirement to being a good Christian. Believe you are the only person who knows, absolutely, the one true way to heaven? Ah my yes, but you really are a good Christian then. It is sad that so many of these aspects become so divisive that often they create gaps, chasms, crevices so wide that many are turned off to what is really the truth of Christianity - love thy neighbor as thyself, Christ is the Light of the World to those of us who believe, yes but if one studies other major religions, often there are similarities in their teachings to those in the Christian community and I refuse to believe that the God of Mercy and Love would ban someone to Hell forever because that person didn't name HIM as his personal Savior but perhaps used the name Buddha or even Allah. How do we know, really, that those faiths are not actually the same as ours but just call Christ by a different name? Who are we to judge that which we don't know, don't even try to understand more often than not but just pronounce ourselves as being the authority on salvation? We get so caught up at times in the sanctimonious feelings that we forget to have honor, respect, caring ways for all, not just one group.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Great comment Jeni. I agree with most of what you said with the exception of the part where you relate God to Buddha or Allah. Although I do understand the point you are trying to make.

I believe in the Bible and where it says that no one comes to the Father except through Jesus. Does that make me right? Based on what I believe, yes.

However, I would never condemn or judge somebody if they are Mormon, Islamic, Atheist, whatever. I think you know what I mean.

I love your writing. I read your blog about the essay you were writing about autism. I hope it gets published and that I will be able to read it.

Be well and blessed my friend.

7:41 PM  
Blogger friend said...

You are right that it is not your job to convert people...but we are called to make disciples. So, what does that mean... it is clear we make disciples by the type of people we are more than what we say...but there is a "saying" part of the whole deal as well. And in your comments you "say" - and in your life you "do" - and that is the real beauty in your discipleship making process. I appreciate your heart.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for your prayers I really appreciate it.

I definately agree with you. Others have said the same thing to me about being different and not judging. It's amazing what some people will say to a nonbeliever. I am totally in agreement with you once again Kieth. I miss your family we will have to get together sometime.

God Bless!

9:20 PM  
Blogger Thor Holt said...

If you Christians are not PERSONALLY the best advert for Personal Development walking on the Planet then your faith means NOTHING! Except that you may selfishly go to heaven... if it exists. I say lets create heaven here on Earth.
Think on that and know that I say this to you in a loving and totally Non believing way ;-)

8:36 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

aciddrip,

I take it you don't like Christians. That's okay man! I accept the fact that we SHOULD be a great advert for personal development, but there's a fly in the ointment, we're human and make mistakes. God says let's bring His Kingdom here on earth TODAY. I try...and sometimes I fail.

I welcome your comment and appreciate it. Be well my friend.

Peace!

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home