Friday, February 29, 2008

I posted about this church and the pastor not too long ago. I am VERY glad that the pastor was not pushed out. I can say that I am a little surprised though because it was a Baptist Church, and Baptists tend to be ultra conservative. But I like the way this one is thinking. I think Jesus is proud right now :-)

UPDATE: It looks like the debate at Fort Worth, Texas, Broadway Baptist church over photos of gay members in the church directory has ended. In a 294-182 vote, church members approved a recommendation by the church's board of deacons to publish a directory that would include gay member photos in “candid, small and large group pictures” but not include them in family portraits. Church members voted after a sermon by pastor Brett Younger in which he challenged parishioners to be more sympathetic to gays. “If we look into the eyes of a gay Christian, we may have to rethink some of our opinions,” Younger said. [dallasnews.com, 2/24/08]

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Not on topic; but, you might want to read the current post on Second Effort. It's on my sidebar. He's Catholic and a good thinker and writer.

Hope you and the southside kids are well.

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.star-telegram.com/religion/story/504792.html

This issue is not anywhere close to being resolved. The church is split 50-50 on this issue. To those who believe in the integrity of the Bible, it is an issue that can't be compromised.
Those who are more concerned with not offending and accepting all as defined by the culture of the day are offended by anyone that says that sin really exists and separates us from God.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Dear Anonymous,

Why anonymous by the way? A vote of 294-182 is a far cry from 50/50. Although the issue they voted on was whether or not to include the gay members photos. In the link you provided, I guess some are still trying to oust the pastor.

In your response, you say it is an issue that cannot be compromised. It is not like the gay folks in this story are in a position of leadership or anything like that. This is just about a photo in a directory. They did not even allow them to be put into the directory under the family section, but rather they were placed in "candid, small and large group pictures".

And by the way anonymous...your last paragraph in your comment says: "Those who are more concerned with not offending and accepting all as defined by the culture of the day are offended by anyone that says that sin really exists and separates us from God."

God says to accept all, at least that's what my bible tells me. Is it sin? The bible says it is and I believe it is. But I am not the judge, God is. You are not the judge, God is.

What's the problem then with what I posted? I welcome your discussion, but please identify yourself next time. It sure is nice to know who you're talking to.

Peace!
Keith

3:08 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

FYI...I think I know who you are anyway. ;-)

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home