Saturday, April 05, 2008

Diversity

So I just spent a week in Reno at a Diversity Workshop. I didn't really know what to expect. I thought it would be your typical government workshop. I was wrong. I actually enjoyed it and learned a lot. It was very interactive. We took the MBTI-Myers Briggs Test Instrument before the workshop. One of the top MBTI consultants in the country went over our results. I came out as an ESFP-Extrovert, Sensor, Feeler, Perceiver and my Temperament was Joy & Fun. The extrovert part sort of surprised me a bit.

There were about 40 people at the conference. Most of the races were represented. We had African American, Hispanic, Native American, Caucasian. The male/female ratio was pretty even. There were gays represented as well.

What I learned in the workshop could also apply outside the workforce as well.

The number one thing I took away from the week is that EVERYBODY has something to offer. Every piece is needed for a complete picture -- Inclusion is the key!

I was able to chat with one of the gay males after hearing him talk about a campus ministry he participated in. I told him how awesome I thought it was that he was doing that.

At the end of the conference the microphone was passed around the table and we were able to tell the group what we got out of the workshop. One of the gay males expressed his appreciation to the group that he was able to be heard and that it was one of the first times he was able to feel comfortable discussing issues about diversity.

All in all it was a great week. I appreciated Leslie (she is the diversity focal point in our office) letting me tag along and we will now begin the "real work" taking what we learned and applying it to the office.

Peace!

Love all, accept all, listen to all, and encourage all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home