Sunday, July 06, 2008

A nice weekend and some random stuff

We had a wonderful 4th of July weekend. On Friday night Patty and I decided to stay in for the night and we watched an old movie called Born on the 4th of July. An awesome movie that portrayed how the Vietnam Vets were treated when they came back from the war. It starred a very young Tom Cruise who was injured in the war and how he was treated when he got back. In the end he questioned why we were in Vietnam in the first place and ended up leading protests against the war. Hmmmm...kind of sounds like a war we're in right now doesn't it?

We could hear the fireworks from our house as the local fireworks in Gilbert were shot off from the High School my daughter graduated from not too far from our house. The smaller dog could have cared less and was not bothered at all by them. But our bigger dog was a big wuss. She was terrified the entire time. It is no wonder that animal shelters and local pounds fill up on the 4th of July due to pets that run away.

On Saturday morning we went to the gym. Then my parents arrived around 4:30 in the afternoon. The girls went to see the new movie Get Smart. They said it was a good movie. My dad and I headed out to see the Sprint Cars on the half-mile track at Manzanita Speedway. I really enjoy the Sprint Cars. Sadly though, on this night, I saw one of the most horrific crashes I have ever seen in person. In one of the heat races, three of the cars were going full throttle out of the fourth turn and the guy on the outside wasn't going to make it. He hit the wall and then barrel rolled about twenty times doen the front straightaway right in front of us with the final hit upside down on the roll cage ending up on the wheels. It looked to me like something in the roll cage broke. It took about 45 minutes to get him out of the car and he was transported to the hospital. Near the end of the night he was still undergoing MRI's but they said he had a pretty good concussion. I pray that the guy will be okay. The winner of the feature race started near the back and picked off cars one at a time and ended up winning the race.

This morning we went to the early service with my parents and Pastor Danny gave an awesome sermon. Afterwards we went out to eat (yes it was sushi) and then my folks headed back to Tucson. Patty and I went to the gym in the afternoon. Her sister is without Air Conditioning in her house until at least tomorrow so she is staying with us tonight.

Tomorrow it's back to work for me. I've enjoyed the week off. Tomorrow I'll need to catch up on a lot of my cooperative observer paperwork and Tuesday I'm heading out to Alamo Lake to make a repair. I have a string of radar shifts coming up too which will be fun now that our monsoon season in in gear right now. Perhaps I can encourage some of these storms to come into the Valley? We'll see.

I was approached by a co-worker not too long ago asking me if I would run a full marathon with her. She has never done one. I swore to myself that I would never do another full one again, but...I don't want to discourage someone from doing one. I'm going to start a formal training program in September and run the Tucson Half-Marathon with her in December and see how I'm doing then. I will make my mind up then.

I hope you all had a nice relaxing time over the long weekend. Be nice to someone this week, just because you can! :-)

Peace!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

Your telling about the races and the wreck sure brought back a lot of memories to me. My ex and I used to be avid followers of the dirt track races here and because we knew some of the late model as well as sprint car drivers, they were big favorites. I remember one nite in a sprint car race, a driver, coming into the third turn flipped, his car riding the rail upside down, gasoline leaking out and of course, the sparks caught the car on fire. The car flipped onto the track, then rolled into the pit area with the fire trucks racing up to the area. The driver managed to get out but you could see he was on fire too. Fortunately, he did drop and roll as the firemen got there and the blaze was extinguised. He suffered only relatively minor injuries but boy, what a scary night that was to watch that scenario. Glad you guys had a good weekend too!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Nothing like PA dirt track racing. I do know that it is very popular out there.

My dad and I used to go a lot when I was a kid and it was nice to go with him this past weekend. It brought back good memories for me too.

Peace!

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home