Sunday, March 12, 2006

Right now I am re-reading Donald Millers Blue Like Jazz because I am going to be leading a small group using his book. This part in chapter two struck me...

Don and his friends were at a rally protesting the president in this scene from the book.

I felt empowered in the sea of people, most of whom were also carrying signs and chanting against corporations who were making slaves of Third World labor; and the Republican Party, who gives those corporations so much power and freedom. I felt so far from my upbringing, from my narrow former self, the me who was taught the Republicans give a crap about the cause of Christ. I felt a long way from the pre-me, the pawn-Christian who was a Republican because my family was Republican, not because I had prayed and asked God to enlighten me about issues concerning the entire world rather than just America.

It struck me because that is sort of exactly how i feel at the moment. I get so tired of people and churches agreeing with EVERYTHING the evangelical right wingers say and then the liberal left wingers saying the exact opposite. From here on out I'll just ask God and go with what He wants and tells me to do.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pinay said...

i'm not really well-informed about the american ideologies especially on issues mentioning republicans or democrats...however, i agree that sometimes, we tend to act away from how we were brought up to, and it creates tension inside of us--a sort of faction with our values/beliefs. but what's more important, like what i told the youth yesterday, we should secure that our actions are in accordance with the 'master plan' that God has designed for us.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Amen to that. I so appreciate your comments.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home