Sunday, October 21, 2007

My fun weekend

My sis-in-law and I went to the home opener of the Phoenix Roadrunner's 2007/2008 hockey season. We had a blast. The game was good, hard hitting and the Runner's won. They also won again last night and play again this evening. I liked the way the team looked this year. They were very aggressive and fast and were not afraid to take the body at all.

Saturday I attended my friends wedding. It was a beautiful ceremony and they both looked very happy. I was able to meet Darrel's twin sister, his brother, and their 80 year old mother. The reception was out in Queen Creek at bride's sister's house and they had a lot of land. The day was absolutley gorgeous, in the 90's. They had rented a very large open air tent or canopy, and as long as you were in the shade, it was very comfortable with a gentle breeze blowing.

The best part of the reception for me was sitting by, talking with, and getting to know Darrel's 80 year old grandmother. This was an amazing lady who leads a very interesting life. She actually lives in a houseboat on the San Diego Bay. She has been there for years. They told me she was senile and drank a lot. She was drinking at the reception but not to access that I could tell. She held conversation real well and loved to tell stories. At one point she asked me if I would go get her a beer when I went to get one for myself. I told her that I had not had a drink in 7 years, but that I would gladly go get her a beer while I went to get a diet coke. When I came back she asked me what made me quit drinking and I told her my story. She was fascinated by my story and then started talking about her minister friend where she goes to church at a non-denominational community church in Balboa Park. She told me that I was a nice guy and that it was God who had touched my life. I told her that that was true. I could go on and on about Muriel (that was her name) but she really was the highlight of my day that day. I had never met her before but had heard lots about her. Before I left I told her that it was a pleasure to have her company at the reception and that I was leaving. I asked her if I could give her a hug so I bent down to hug her and she gave me a big kiss and whispered in my ear to stay close to God. I smiled, and told her to do the same and that the next time I am in San Diego that I would go to the San Diego Bay to see her and her houseboat. I saw God in this little old lady that seemed like just the nicest person on earth when I was warned not to sit by her or let her bother me. How sad, because this lady had lots of wisdom in her stories.

Last night I watched some great fights on the UFC PPV event "Hostile Territory". Franklin fought a rematch with Silva in his hometown of Cincinnati and ended up getting his assed kicked again. Silva deserves his title and proved it last night.

This morning, I taught the little 3 and 4 year olds at church. Meredith B. came and helped me out as we told what happened to Adam and Eve when they did not obey God.

Patty should be home anytime from the Women's Retreat up in Prescott. I hope and pray that they were all minitered to and that they had a nice relaxing time away.

I had a call from some good friends of ours at VCCG that were looking for some Biker type people to talk to somebody that is having problems. Why who else but Biker Jon from Amadeo would be perfect for this. So I am in the process of getting them connected.

Be well, be nice to everyone you come across, and be MoVeD by God's love!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

Perhaps you and Muriel have more in common and you're also more receptive to listening to other's stories, seeing the value beneath the surface where others often don't want to even lift the cover to see what lies beneath. Learn a lot by looking under and inside people, don't 'cha?

10:23 AM  
Blogger Pinay said...

I love listening to stories especially of "old" people. There is always wisdomin them. I believe it was really an interesting conversation you had with her.

3:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home