Friday, August 08, 2008

I could get very used to San Diego

Wow! What a nice relaxing time we had in San Diego this week. Specifically, Carlsbad California in Northern San Diego County. We did a little bit of everything while we were there. The weather was just absolutely gorgeous. San Diego has a fairly steady climate year round. The marine layer with its low clouds and fog drift in late evening and usually lasts through mid morning before the sun burns it off. This usually cools things off into the low to mid 60's. Days are warm and pleasant with highs in the mid 70's to lower 80's. The water temperature of the Pacific Ocean was a very nice 72 degrees. All of this compared to Phoenix with lows in the 80's (sometimes 90's too) and highs anywhere from 101 to 115. The pools around here have water temps in the upper 80's to lower 90's. I could definitely get used to living in San Diego. They even drive better there than here in Phoenix. But their neighbors to the North in Los Angeles are a different story. You take your life in your own hands driving there.

We did some shopping, drove up and down the coast with the windows down and sunroof open, went to the beach and hung out and swam in the ocean. There was a major rip tide going on while we were there so swimming out too far was not a good idea. The waves were breaking real close to shore though so you could still go out and mess around in the waves a bit. I was smart and used sunscreen, so I didn't get burnt at all. Last night for our 21st wedding anniversary, Patty and I went to a nice Seafood place for dinner after playing on the beach. Patty went and got a spa treatment too. But today we came back home. The first time we got out of the car once we hit the desert it was back to reality. It was like an oven blast.

I was planning on taking my car in for some routine maintenance after we got back. On the way out to San Diego, I noticed it starting kind of funny. I tried to remember when I put a new battery in it and it was two years ago. Batteries do not last long in the desert. So my gut told me that my battery was going bad. Well after we got to San Diego and parked it, the next morning it would not start at all. The battery was totally gone. So I just called AAA and they came out and confirmed that it was the battery and put in a new one and off we went. Total time from my first contact with AAA to the battery being installed? About 35 minutes. Not too shabby.

I will not be going to Ruidoso like I had planned because besides taking my vehicle in for routine maintenance, Shannon's needs some work and Patty's car has an issue that should be covered by warranty. I think the compressor in her AC is bad and the vehicle is only a year old. It wouldn't be so bad you see, but we live in the desert and the desert is hot.

San Diego will be on my radar for awhile now. Patty loves it there, I love it there, and my house will be paid for in 9 years. I could definitely consider retiring there. But for now, it's all just a dream. But dreams do come true sometimes too.

It was so nice to get out of here and for Patty and I to spend an entire week alone. I am so grateful to have her as my wife. She could have given up on me, but what we went through only made us stronger.

For now, Peace out! Give someone some encouragement today. As a matter of fact try and do it every day.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

Welcome Back! Good to see you're home and posting again but even better to learn about your vacation and that you had a great time.
Congratss too on the wedding anniversary! Twenty One Years is quite an accomplishment these days, isn't it?
Peace.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

I can see you didn't check house prices while you were out there.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

Hey Dave,

Actually, we did look at some house prices while we were there. San Diego is in sort of a housing slump just like the Phoenix area is right now. Lots of foreclosures and there are some great deals to be had.

Obviously, the further inland you go, the lower the cost. But if I were to retire right now, I think I could even afford something fairly close to the coast.

But like I said in my post, for now, it is only a dream.

Peace!

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home