Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Divine Nobodies

I just ordered this book and can't wait to get it. I have heard great things about it and I have a feeling I may even like it better than Blue Like Jazz. This is based on what I have read about in the reviews and some excerpts I have read. The author is Jim Palmer. He allowed Next-Wave to post a chapter from the book.

Here is an excerpt I particularly liked:

God has been trying to free me from the burden of doing something spectacular for him. It has a way of distracting you from the opportunities to be salt and light right where you are. I’m starting to see that the “cup of cold water given in Jesus’s name” sometimes means running the register by yourself during lunch so your heartbroken coworker can cry in the break room, or volunteering to reshelf all the returns in your area so a worn-out coworker twice your age won’t have to. A kindness shown here, a listening ear offered there, a caring hug as you go might be the case for Christ a cynical waitress most needs. I’m starting to recognize that I am immersed in a sea of hurting people every day. If I simply pay attention and follow the promptings of the Spirit in all these little ways, my life is “ministry.” One of my spiritual gifts is teaching, but I don’t need to stand on a stage before a crowd to use it. God uses it in conversations with people like Wanda to help unravel the complex, far-off, unattainable version of Christianity she heard at church.

Here is the entire chapter and link to the Next-Wave post:

Book Excerpt, Divine Nobodies: Waffle House Theology (Wanda the Waitress)
By Jim Palmer (published by permission)

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

I liked that -being "salt and light" - yep, I do believe that's a great analogy.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Thaks so much for posting that excerpt. Very good choice there. I'll have to remember to look for that book now too.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Me, back again to tell you a few things - one, that I added your blog to mine about a week ago but just got around today to "introducing" you; two, I have a present for you on my blog too, so stop by and pick it up and three, I recommended your blog to a young lady tonight who is very new to the sobriety thing - I believe today is her 6th day, maybe 7th, of being sober and I told her she might think about reading your blog, possibly even setting up a dialogue as you are very open and quite good at discussing that topic!

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your award. I heartily agree with your sentiments. Whilst I would love to be a 'mover and a shaker' and set the world's to rights single handedly, I have to be content with taking on those minute burdens that might relieve someone else's pain.
Best wishes

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home