Tuesday, August 07, 2007

What am I?

This is an excerpt from a short book called One-Trick Pony written by Phillip E. Long.

From page 57:
When the charge of hypocrisy is leveled at the Church, some embrace it too willingly. They already know we are sinners "saved by grace" (Ephesians 2:8). They are secure in the possession of true words and, apparently, impervious. Within her ranks, though, are many who realize something is wrong.

The best argument for the truth of Christianity is always a Christian. Unfortunately, so is the best argument against the truth of Christianity. When enough people have become smugly complacent, when they have all the right answers but don't bother to live them, when the only face they show the world is judgemental, self-righteous, intolerant, and arrogant, the verdict is in.

"The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love." (1 John 4:8)

"For the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

Yes there are a lot of churches and Christians that are intolerant and judgemental of others. At least that has been my experience. Phillip Long gets it right I think.

We can stand on a street corner and shout out fire and brimstone to the masses and hand out the "Four Spiritual Laws" tract that will tell these folks to say a prayer and all is well.

Or we can serve people (and yes I mean all people) and develop relationships with them and show them Christ's love through our actions.

Here in my town we have a lot of Mormons. I do not believe in Mormonism at all but I do find that their actions are a lot more Christ like than some of my Christian brethren.

The Mormons hold an annual Easter Pageant at the Temple in Mesa. Every year there are some "Christians" that try and convert folks to Christianity by spewing fire and brimstone to those walking into the pageant. The news media caught some of it this year and it just made me sick. Why not hand out food and water to those walking in instead of screaming at them? Why not hand out water at the annual gay pride parade instead of holding posters that say "God hates fags". Believe me, God does not hate anyone.

Just something to think about. I am not perfect, but I try to live a Christlike life. I'll never perfect it, but I will keep trying.

So what am I?

Be MoVeD!

4 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

It is a disgrace how some people are... I think I am disgusted at my own self sometimes and how I treat people - especially at work when I'm tired and cranky. You are totally right on with this post.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Pinay said...

Beautiful. Thank you for posting this. this is an eye-opener to many, including myself.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

I ventured over here from Dave the Lawyer's place and just wanted to tell you I very much appreciated your words. And, how true it is how some who profess to be Christian can act in the most un-Christian like ways too.
Reading further down in your blog, I also wanted to congratulate you on your years of sobriety now. What a joy, a true blessing to hear about that! My ex-husband and I divorced in 1980 - he filed, although I would have had ample grounds for divorce based on his alcohol abuse and infidelity - just for openers. Over the years, I explained to our children not to turn away from him though regardless of some of his inconsiderate actions as the majority of them were a direct consequence from his drinking. And, today, I am so thankful I took that route with them about him. He stopped drinking in the fall of 1993 and since then, has now developed a very good relationship with all three of our children - now all adults of course. He's still a male chavinist (some things will probably never change -LOL) but he is an interested participant in their lives and in our three grandchildren's lives as well. It's difficult though since he lives in Nevada and the kids and grandkids all live here in Pennsylvania but he does try to communicate -and on better levels too -now with them but none of this would have ever happened had he not finally decided to go sober!

1:47 PM  
Blogger Bryant said...

You know I agree bro, I sure rant about it enough! :) This is all very true. It disgusts me when "christians" treat "sinners"
like dirt. We're not any better, we're just forgiven. We're called to love, not to judge! It still trips me out. How did we end up becoming just like the Pharisees?
Anyway, love you bro.

Peace out

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home