Sunday, September 23, 2007

Sober is better (continued)

So I made it through the detox process on my own. But I still felt like crap and had done a lot of damage to my body. One thing that addicts do is isolate themselves so they can use as much as possible. So I called a good friend of mine from the church we were attending at the time to be accountable to. We went through a workbook called Experiencing Christ together. It really helped me a lot.

I still was at home and not allowed to go back to work until I got the doctor's clearance. I was also contemplating what I was going to do if I lost my job or was going to be suspended. I was ready to flip burgers at MacDonalds or stock shelves at the grocery store. My doctor wrote up a treatment plan that included counseling. My boss, who really had the right to can my ass, gave me another chance. I was not even suspended. I also had several people at church pray for me. Some people believe in miracles, some don't. I believe in them, because I am one. After receiving prayer one night, I had this feeling that I have never experienced before. It was like the chains that were binding me were broken and I was free. Physically I was still hurting. But I can honestly say that God set me free from my addiction that night. That night as I was sleeping and in the next few nights after that, I heard a voice. It was audible. I believe it was the Holy Spirit. He kept telling me to let go and let Him take over. He kept telling me that He is still with me.

While I was recovering physically, I read an article in the newspaper about a marathon. I told my wife Patty that next year I was going to run in that marathon. I started running. I couldn't run a block before feeling like I was going to pass out. I then researched running and training programs. Before you know it, I was up to 6 miles in one run. After I had been clean and sober for almost a year I went to the doctor for a full physical. He was amazed. My liver counts were normal, blood pressure was excellent and my ticker was in great shape. Cholesterol was great too. I felt better than when I was in my 20's and 30's.

To be continued...

Be MoVeD!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home