Sunday, January 11, 2009

Do Not Question Driscoll

I found an interesting article this morning that appeared in the NY Times on January 6th. Now I know why some certain things happened to me the way they did back in February of last year. Read the full article here. The excerpt below I can really relate to.

Nowhere is the connection between Driscoll’s hypermasculinity and his Calvinist theology clearer than in his refusal to tolerate opposition at Mars Hill. The Reformed tradition’s resistance to compromise and emphasis on the purity of the worshipping community has always contained the seeds of authoritarianism: John Calvin had heretics burned at the stake and made a man who casually criticized him at a dinner party march through the streets of Geneva, kneeling at every intersection to beg forgiveness. Mars Hill is not 16th-century Geneva, but Driscoll has little patience for dissent. In 2007, two elders protested a plan to reorganize the church that, according to critics, consolidated power in the hands of Driscoll and his closest aides. Driscoll told the congregation that he asked advice on how to handle stubborn subordinates from a “mixed martial artist and Ultimate Fighter, good guy” who attends Mars Hill. “His answer was brilliant,” Driscoll reported. “He said, ‘I break their nose.’ ” When one of the renegade elders refused to repent, the church leadership ordered members to shun him. One member complained on an online message board and instantly found his membership privileges suspended. “They are sinning through questioning,” Driscoll preached. John Calvin couldn’t have said it better himself.

2 Comments:

Blogger xfevv said...

Interesting. I would caution though that much of the negative that comes out about Mark and Mars Hill is from people with an Axe to grind. There are three sides to every story "my side, your side and the truth". I'm not a Mark Driscoll cheer leader, I have enjoyed quite a few of his sermons and his books, I have also disagreed with many of the things he has said. Honestly I think some people are too hypersensitive about him. his comments about "breaking noses" should be taken in the context of who the guy is, this is part of his persona and much of it is said in jest.

That's my two cents brotha for whatever they are worth.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

I have no problem with his "breaking noses" comment. It was the incident where he fired some folks and some of the membership even questioned him about it.

You're right though about the three sides to every story. But I have read and researched this specific incident and think that it was handled very poorly.

And your two cents are always welcome. Even when they don't agree with my 2 cents. ;-)

See you Thursday brotha'.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home