Friday, October 21, 2005

Tithing...is it required today?

Tithing is a very controversial subject today. Is it required in the church today?

Personally, I believe that it is not required as we are under New Testament Law today. 2 Cor. 8:12 says If you are really eager to give, it isn't important how much you are able to give. God wants you to give what you have, not what you don't have.

Paul says that we should give what we have, not what we don't have. Sacrificial giving must be responsible. paul wants believers to give generously, but not to the extent that those who depend on them, their familes for example, would go without having their basic needs met.

2 cor. 9:7 says You must each make up your own mind as to how much you should give. Don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure. For God loves the person who gives cheerfully.

I am definitely NOT opposed to tithing. I tithe myself. I am blessed to be able to do so. I just do not believe that it is required that I tithe.

We should support our church and our ministers financially. We should also give our time and talents where they are needed in the church.

Under the conditional covenant of the Old Testament tithing was a necessity. It is not a command in the New Testament, it is a principle. We give out of love, from the heart because we are under a New Covenant, not the Old Testament law.

Comments welcome.

3 Comments:

Blogger Keith said...

Thanks for your comments my little bro'. I do appreciate your input. I do "tithe". I give 10 percent of my income because I want to support the Lord's work and I am giving back a portion of what He provides me with. Does it have to be a "tithe" though, or 10 percent? I myself don't believe so. However, I do "tithe" on my income. I know we could go on and on about it. Sooooo, when will Jackie give you permission to get that tattoo? heh heh heh. See you soon.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Pretty interesting that your pastor talked about what we were discussing. God is good that way. Nipples pierced, hmmmmmmm. OUCH! I have enough problems with my nipples on my long runs.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Pinay said...

I believe in tithing and practice so. Although it is not 'directly stated' in the New Covenant as in Malachi 3:10, etc., I still believe that God will pour out His blessings to those who heartily offers Him what He asks. And I agree that it's a form of worship. I sort of recognize a tithe as the "seed" you plant. And offering is another thing. =)

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home