Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Servant Evangelism and a Wonderful Story

Well last night I had the opportunity to deliver presents to kids who had a parent in prison as part of our church servant evangelism project. There were several of us who showed up and I think it was Ben who sorted out the gifts by geographical area. Whoever did it, thanks man! It sure made it easy getting to the addresses. The only problem I had was that one of the addresses was an apartment complex with no apartment number on my sheet. So I called the phone number that was on the sheet and found out which apartment it was. It took us about a half hour or so to find the apartment as it was dark and there were several buildings in the complex.

We got to the church about 530 or so and broke up into teams. I was teamed with my daughter Shannon. It was a wonderful opportunity for us to do this together and I really enjoyed it. Patty was home with a migraine but is doing much better today. This was the first time I have ever done servat evangelism outside of the drop in center. What a rewarding experience it was. The looks on the kids faces said it all. I was very glad that I was a part of this as it was very rewarding to me personally. Just going out and giving to the less fortunate just as Christ would. Loving the people right where they are at in life. These kids now have some presents to open at Christmastime that otherwise may have received nothing due to their unfortunate circumstances. May they see Christ's love through some people in their community.

Yesterday I received a call from our weather observer up in Globe. She had some electrical work done earlier in the day and after they left her digital display was not working anymore. I headed up there first thing this morning. It turned out to be a very minor problem and I was getting ready to leave. She asked about the guy I replaced and I told her he was retiring and that his retirement dinner was the night before the PF Changs race. Well that got us into a discussion about how I started running, which was when I quit drinking etc etc. She said that that was quite a testimony. It turns out that she is a Christian, has a son about my age that is a Pastor at a church associated with The Potter House and we just talked and talked. She apologized for me having to drive all the way up to Globe for such a minor problem. I then told her that I was glad I did because it was so nice to talk to a sister in Christ. She then gave me a hug and saw me to the door. It just made my day. She was such a dear sweet lady and was just thrilled to hear my testimony. I also spoke to her about the mission trips this summer and we just had good nice conversation. It's a small world ain't it?

Well after work today I'm off for a 6 miler. catch ya'll on the flip side. I'm out!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

neat-o web page uncle keith.... my family and i did a similar thing passing out christmas gifts @ a apartment complex, where the kids came and picked things they liked out of a whole bunch of toys our church had donated, its one of the very few things i've ever done that was worth getting up early to do!! no really, you were head on when you said the kids faces say it all... anyways

M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S!!!

i'm so glad we're here getting to visit yall... *andie*

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home