Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A wild hot weekend

I attended the Family Values Tour at Cricket Pavilion with my wife Patty, her sister Maureen and Maureen's co-worker Yessie. It was a great show and not as insane as it was last year. I didn't actually fear for my life this time.

It was freaking hot though. There were a lot of heat casualties in the crowd. I never understood why they have outdoor concerts here in the summertime, but they do. And people go, and some get overcome by the heat. I think a lot of it is the dangerous combination of heat, alcohol, and whatever illegal substance they ingest. I'm just glad I'm clean and sober now. I actually remember the concert this way too, go figure. I stuck to plain old water, with the exception of a couple of diet cokes through the day and into the night.

This was Maureen's first "hardcore" rock show. The concert started at 2 pm and we got to the venue about 4 pm. 20,000 hardcore rock fans, and two stages. We stuck with the main stage. Trivium was on when we arrived. They were okay. But their style is thrash metal and I'm not a big fan of that. Next up was one of the highlights of the show for me, the current supergroup Hell Yeah. It is a side project made up of guys from Pantera and Mudvayne. These guys blew me away and Phoenix treated them well. Flyleaf came on next and they did some new stuff I had not heard which only tells me one thing. Maybe a new CD in the near future? They had major sound problems during their set which was highly disappointing because Patty and I love this band from Texas fronted by Lacey Mosley. Patty and I wandered around for a bit to get a bite to eat while Atreyu was playing. Missed most of their set, but what I heard was pretty good. Evanescence was next and the sun had gone down by this time. They had a wall of mirrors behind them with a bunch of lighting effects for a blinding light show. Amy Lee was in perfect voice and her haunting vocals were, well, haunting. I had never seen them before live but man am I glad I did. Excellent performance.

Korn ended the night with a heavy rocking 2 hour set and they played a lot of old school stuff. I was kind of hoping for some more of their new material but all in all they rocked the house. The fans were much better behaved this year than they were at last years show. But security was out in force this year so it was all good.

There was a guy sitting next to me that was older than I was and we chatted a bit in between bands. Nice guy that likes to rock, just like I do :-)

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

1. It's Cricket WIRELESS Pavilion now. ;)

2. I was there working the thing. Definitely some INTERESTING people. I also got the wonderful privilege of working the Marilyn Manson concert the next night. I was officially freaked out.

Anywho, I'm glad you guys had fun. It was definitely a hot one out there! Did you see people with "Cricket Wireless Pavilion" fans? I was the one handing those out. :)

3:38 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Now I'm officially pissed! I saw a lot of people with those fans and I wanted one. Were you on the east or west side? I looked for you, but with 20,000 people, it's kind of hard to find one person.

Marilyn Manson is a FREAK. Slayer is pretty evil, but I would not have minded seeing them one time. I like their heavy style of music.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hahaha. Yeah. Those fans are a hot commodity! I'll make sure you get one next time! :) I was on the East side. Where were you?

11:18 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

We parked and came in on the east side, but that was where the second stage was located also. So once we got to our seats, we would head to the west side just because it was not as jam packed over there.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home